Monday, 19 May 2014

Mindfulness - Part 1

You may have heard of Mindfulness, it's been in the news a bit recently, but what is it?

Well, after the last term (in which I nearly fell over the verge, never mind being on it) a colleague and friend recommended I try it.  It had been recommended to her by her GP who said the only way she would come off beta blockers was mindfulness and she was trying it.

Being the sceptic that I am, I wanted more information before I plunged in, so I discovered that MBCT (Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy) had been developed by a Professor Mark Williams at Oxford University.  Well, Oxford Uni is good enough for me.

I also discovered that mindfulness is endorsed by NICE, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, as being equally effective as medication for stress, anxiety and depression.  It can also be used for pain management.  Recommendation by the medical profession - tick.

I looked up courses, but they were about £200 and would take up most of my Sunday afternoons (I don't have the time, wait, that's the problem!)

So I bought the Professor's book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness-practical-guide-finding-frantic/dp/074995308X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400526393&sr=1-1&keywords=mark+williams



An eight week course using Mindful Meditation to tame the mind for only £8.

I guess you have to be self motivated to do it from a book and CD, but I was desparate so I've stuck to it, I'm on week 6 and already feeling the benefits.  I can't believe how much calmer I feel, how I'm taking things in my stride and can even manage the pain of my tendonitis!

btw as a bonus, Professor Mark Williams has the most melifluous voice, which is perfect for meditation. (I couldn't have stuck a Californian accent on a CD)

I can't really explain what MCBT is, but the man himself can.

If you've got time, listen to this talk, it may change your life, I think it's changing mine:



1 comment:

Maggie May said...

I haven't been on a course but have books on Mindfulness too and when the going gets tough, I think the books have been a great help.
Getting rid of the wrong type of thinking by concentrating on our different senses and bringing everything back to the here & now, seems to be the way to go.
I will come back when I have more time & watch that video.
I am so behind with blogging & comments just now.
Maggie x

Nuts in May